Concept to completion
Our commitment to take on the role of construction manager of your new home
to go straight to flowchart of design process click here
Costa Constructions is a master luxury home & new home builders on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland for over 30 years and we understand that everyone is different. Some clients want to have as little to do with the construction process as possible and want us to take care of the whole process for them, and then we have clients who like to take part and maximise their input in the process of constructing. These are the two extremes and we can accommodate both ends of the spectrum and anything in between.
As you can see from our display home at Birtinya Island on the Sunshine Coast we like to create individual lifestyles and homes.
A wishlist, is usually the best place to start and maybe some photos of what you have seen that you like. This in turn gives us an idea of the size of home and inclusions that you are expecting in your outcome.
Before the first design meeting, we will do a comprehensive site inspection including photographs of your site and adjoining neighbours boundaries and any views, and record all relevant information ready for the first meeting.
The First Design Meeting With Michael Rolton from MRA Design & Costa
Example of a client brief: THIS IS THE BRIEF THAT VEE - DISPLAY HOME WAS DESIGNED ON
- A contemporary home maximising the use of the small block (390m2).
- Down scaling from a 500m2 home.
- Our main focus is lifestyle and entertaining and we would therefore like to maximise the living area space, and make maximum use of the Sunshine Coast climate.
- We have a teenager living at home and would need 1 guest bedroom.
- A separate living / media area / reading area
- The home needs to have lots of natural light and an open feel about it. High ceilings is what I like.
- Outdoors: Pool and BBQ area are a must.
- We are planning on travelling regularly and using this home as our base, so minimal maintenance a must.
- We are conscious of the environment and would like our home to be as energy efficient as possible, and have as minimal carbon footprint as possible.
- Have all the nice things available to make the house enjoyable to live in.
- Minimise the need for airconditioning, however still have it available for those very hot days or chilly nights.
- Minimal maintenance and daily upkeep.
MRA Design come up with a floor plan to suit
- From this meeting, Michael would go away and put together a hand sketch to scale of the floor plan and one elevation to get an idea of the overall concept which would suit the aspects of the block, taking into consideration the surrounding neighbours, views, northerly aspect, etc.
- If the client is happy with this proposed floor plan and preliminary pricing, then the preliminary cad format is ordered. At this stage it is easy to modify the concept to suit the client should there be any changes required.
- Once the cad format is ready, the client can view the 3D images of the home and Costa Constructions can then consult with the engineer to arrive at proper structural pricing.
- In the meantime specific inclusions are decided. That is tap ware, basins, bench tops, etc (note at this time colours are not necessary, but rather materials for costing). Also other inclusions such as automation, audio, security, solar, etc should be decided upon.
- At this point the pricing is finalised and if the client is happy to proceed, the next step is to finalise all drawings, which means turning the preliminary plans into working drawings. Getting the structural plans (engineerings) drafted.
Move on to Constructing Your Home
- The contract is drafted.
- Contract is signed and deposit paid.
- Costa will submit the application to the private certifier and commence programming for construction.
- Once the application is approved by council we can provide the client with a start date and completion milestones (dates) as detailed on the contract so that the client can plan during construction.
- At this point the client can choose to have as much or as little interaction with the construction process. We have a number of walkthroughs onsite during construction, explaining what has been done and why, and look at any possible changes should the client require them before the process progresses too far and becomes costly to change.
- At the end of construction the home is professionally cleaned and made ready for the removalist to move in furniture.
- One of our representatives will walk you through your new home and explain all the features and answer any questions.
BELOW IS A FLOW CHART OF THE DESIGN PROCESS :